Friday, July 31, 2009

Dressing up papa Federer!

As a fashion designer, it is not surprising that Narendra Kumar has worked with many brands. So what's interesting is that at a time when Bollywood and sports stars end up being the faces of all Indian and international brands, he's been signed on as the brand ambassador for Swiss International Airlines.

Says Narendra, "I must admit that I was glad a designer was considered; it's high time we got out of the rut and companies started looking beyond these sections. More importantly, the company and I share the same principles -- we both believe in class and performance. So I identify with the company."

And it doesn't stop at that because while Narendra is the ambassador in India, tennis aceand father of twins Roger Federer is the international ambassador for the airline. "I must say that it's great to be in such esteemed company -- I am a fan of his. But it wouldn't be fair to compare us -- I mean, I am not a patch on him. He's in a different league; he's made history and I am far from anything like that -- at least as of now," laughs Nari.

That said, could this common factor between them also possibly translate into a future meeting between the two? "To be very honest, I am not sure how and when that's going to happen as he (Roger) is an extremely busy man. But if and when I meet him, I'd love to gift him one of my creations," he notes.

So what would he want Roger to wear? "I'd want to dress him in an outfit that is both Indian and international. He's an international figure, so global appeal is important. I'd make him a one-button cutaway suit which is an Indian version of the tuxedo. The fabric will be high quality wool in black colour while the shirt inside would be a white cotton dress shirt with French cuffs. The black woolen trousers would complete the look. So it would be like a westernised bandhgala; the jacket, in particular, will add that dash of Indianness," he explains.

No comments: