Sunday, November 30, 2008

'My men dying was heart-breaking'

For chef Hemant Oberoi of the Taj destruction of the hotel spells immeasurable sadness
“I have lost six of my trusted staff,” is all chef Hemant Oberoi of the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower manages to say, trying to control the surmounting grief in his voice.
The aftermath of the terror attack that started on Wednesday night has seen over a 100 people killed in a bloodbath at the landmark heritage hotel.
The kitchen, reportedly one of the most destroyed areas, is telling on how the other parts of the hotel are. More than half of the city’s celebs have wined and dined there, but is that destined to remain a part of one’s memory now?
“I can’t say anything as I am yet to go into the kitchen again,” says chef Oberoi. He was in the kitchen on that night as the ugly incident unfurled itself. “The terrorists just rushed in,” he recalls.
“I heard the fire and managed to duck. It was horrible. My team got hurt and six of my chefs have died. I couldn’t think and was stunned,” he says, adding, “My mind is a blank since then and I can’t recall what happened after that.” Among those victims was chef Vijay Banja.
Socialite couple Jamal and Pravina Mecklai say the hotel and its restaurants are an integral part of their lives.
“The chefs were so efficient; we loved all the food they made—whether it was at the Golden Dragon or at the Souk. I have enjoyed a meal at every window seat there as a teenager, when I got proposed to. The older, elegant gents in the staff are so wonderful,” says Pravina.
She is hoping the place bounces back soon. “Then, you can be sure I’ll be among the first to go there and cheer them on,” she smiles.

No comments: